Sunday, February 26, 2012

FLASHBACK: The High Watermark of Patience

Marathon, FL 24º42.366N | 81º5.669W

"Each day we learn one thing more about watchfulness, about our own high water mark of patience and about, not signs, but faith scattered amongst shells and bits of wood." 

Those hopeful words were written almost three years ago, on February 1, 2009. I've pulled this from the archive to remind myself where we came from and to encourage those who still wait.

Three years ago, Cara Mia existed only in our imaginations. Our house, wine shop and old boat were for sale in the midst of the greatest economic "downturn" since the Great Depression, and we had no idea how long it would be until we were free to sail away.

In retrospect, I can tell you it would be an entire year and four months. Our friend was right about Groundhog Day, but one year off. It's just as well that we did not know. Instead we faced each day hopeful and open to the lessons it would bring, day after day after day.


FLASHBACK: Sunday, February 1, 2009

DOLPHINS, GROUNDHOGS & FEATHERS

Tomorrow is Groundhog Day, the day where tradition has it that we find out if this long winter will end or be with us for another six weeks. Several months ago our friend Lincoln told me that Groundhog Day would be when everything would finally come together for us. 
"Mark my words," he said. But I forgot. 
He reminded me last Thursday, "Groundhog Day," he said. 
I wondered if it was a good omen on Friday when the very first thing I saw was a ladybug. I opened my eyes and thought, "What's that black spot on the door?" and then it started moving. 
The new people who looked at the house yesterday came back for a second time today. As they looked, we went to walk on the beach. On our first glimpse of the ocean, we saw dozens of dolphins slowly, methodically cresting as they swam south.
All along our path on the beach, we saw feathers at the high water mark, scattered amongst shells and bits of wood. Could that be a sign? Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment