Friday, August 10, 2012

A SAILOR LEARNS TO WRITE

Corte Madera, CA

In case you're wondering where I am this week, I've flown the coop. Well, at least the cooped up boat. Living in a marina in sultry Georgia causes one to find excuses to move about the planet (like I need one) -- even if it's just down the dock to play Chicken Foot dominos with other boat refugees.

This time I've taken bigger leave, not of my senses (I hope). I've flown to beautiful Corte Madera, California, tucked between the Golden Gate Bridge and wine country (why go to ugly places?), for a travel writing conference. Not just any old conference but the Book Passage Travel Writers & Photographers Conference celebrating its 21st year.

My friend Beth forwarded me an email about this conference on July 24 and two weeks later, here I am.

You never really know what to expect at these sorts of things. Actually I feared a blah, blah, blah, break for coffee, blah, blah, blah type of thing. Instead I am completely delighted to report that day one has been rated a 9 out of a possible 10 on a scale that I just made up.

The faculty is peopled by storied folks.


You can see the whole list here. There are about 70 attendees and more than 30 faculty, including editors, writers, photographers and agents. They shamelessly beg us to talk to them -- all day and up to the midnight hour. And then, in my case, the travel editor of the San Francisco Chronicle gives you a ride home.

Stay tuned, although, I might not have time to write for a few days. Ah, the irony.

And if you're wondering where Chip has flown, he told me he was going to Delaware to visit his parents. Yesterday, I find out that all three of them took off for Manhattan. Damn. Fun times on both coasts for Cara Mia's crew.

If you need a sailing blog fix, don't forget that Raft Up continues. August's topic: Clothing and Laundry
  2nd:  Steph @  sailblogs.com/member/nornabiron
  3rd:  Diana @  maiaaboard.blogspot.com
  4th:  Lynn @  sailcelebration.com
6th: Jessica @ mv-felicity.blogspot.com
  7th:  Behan @  sv-totem.blogspot.com
10th:  Stacey @ sv-bellavita.blogspot.com
11th: Verena @ pacificsailors.com (new writer)
12th: Toast @ blog.toastfloats.com (new writer)
13th: Dana, our host @ svnorthfork.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment