Friday, June 17, 2011

CHARLESTON'S UGLY TRUTH

Charleston, SC 32º47.351N | 79º55.461W

Middleton Place plantation
I knew I would hate visiting a plantation, celebrating a grotesque history of human enslavement, but I agreed to go anyway. It was beautiful. I hated it.

There we were, white people walking the beautiful grounds built and maintained by enslaved black people.

At one point we passed a black employee raking the grass.

Now, I know in our politically correct thinking that we can't discriminate in hiring, but come on. Can't we exclusively hire white people to clip the grass on a southern plantation?

To further insult me, they charged $37 (a whopping $74 for both of us) to enter the grounds and have a tour of the 'house,' which turns out be a gentlemen's guest house, not the main house where the white, privileged family lived. That one burned down.

Okay, screed interrupted. The place was pretty. Here are some photos.





Fun and games.

No comments:

Post a Comment